Fire Ant Control & Treatment in Venice, FL
Venice, FL is known as one of the “Top 10 Happiest Seaside Towns.” Fire ants are happy here, too, thanks to all the sunshine, warmth, humidity, and water! Learn more about fire ant control and treatment from the experts at Fire Ant Control, LLC.
Red imported fire ants (Solenopsis invicta) are the worst of all fire ant varieties. They reproduce quickly, are more aggressive than other species, and have a painful venomous sting that can cause serious medical problems.
Fire ants love moist land and prefer building their nests in open, sunny areas like lawns, parks, playgrounds, golf courses, pond shores and river banks, as well as wilderness areas, pastures and agricultural land. They are known for attacking people, plants and animals, and can cause a lot of damage to plants and crops, cement slabs, air-conditioning equipment and electrical wires.
How Much Do You Know About Red Imported Fire Ants?
Here are some interesting facts about fire ants – how they mate, how they get around, where they live, and how long they live:
- Fire ants mate during flight – 300 to 800 feet in the air. Soon after mating, the male dies and the mated female drops to the ground, sheds her wings, and looks for an appropriate place to start her colony.
- The new queen will tunnel into the ground and seal herself inside her nest (or mound) to lay her first dozen or so “worker ant” eggs. In about 10 days, the eggs will hatch, and the worker ants will mature into adults in about 20 to 25 days.
- The oval-shaped nests/mounds average 10” tall, are about as wide as a dinner plate, have no visible openings, and may extend up to 25 feet away from the main nest.
- Adult worker ants begin to forage outside the nest looking for food to care for their queen as she becomes an egg-laying machine. If well-fed, she may lay up to 1,500 eggs per day. The workers expand the nest as necessary to accommodate the growing colony.
- In addition to the workers and queen, colonies contain thousands of males and females that are capable of flight and reproduction. These ants eventually leave the nest to mate and form new colonies.
- Worker ants typically live from 30 to 180 days after emerging as adults. Queens live from two to seven years.
Contact the Professionals!
Fire Ant Control, LLC offers a proven fire ant treatment that works for properties ranging from a single acre to thousands of acres. Our food-like granular bait contains an insect growth regulator that sterilizes the queen and is approved for use around people, pets and livestock. With precise application, the bait falls to the ground where few living things other than ants will encounter it.
Extermination is not instantaneous but, once the worker ants have eaten the bait, carried it down into the colony and sterilized the queen, the entire colony will disappear, and no new ants will be born. With application every four months, our treatment will help prevent further fire ant colonization.
Call Fire Ant Control LLC at (239) 312-8200 for help with fire ant treatment in Venice, FL. Our services are fully licensed and insured and guaranteed for four months.