Fire Ant Facts
Has your property been plagued by an invasion of red fire ants? Read some interesting facts about these destructive pests, and take advantage of the proven treatment solution from Fire Ant Control, LLC to get rid of them.
Red imported fire ants (Solenopsis invicta) are the worst of all fire ant species. They reproduce very quickly, are more aggressive than other species, and have an extremely painful venomous sting that can cause serious medical problems.
Fire Ant Control, LLC is the best fire ant killer around. Headquartered in Bokeelia, Florida, we (and our sister companies) serve the entire imported fire ant quarantine area of the southeastern U.S., and are capable of treating up to 1,000 acres per day.
Fire Ant Facts
- Though not native to North America, the red imported fire ant is now a nuisance throughout the southern United States, ranging from Florida to California and as far north as Oklahoma and Virginia.
- Fire ant nests are built outdoors in oval-shaped mounds of soil with no visible openings. The ants live beneath the mounds in an elaborate network of underground tunnels that can extend up to 25 feet away.
- Mounds are typically found in lawns and open fields, under piles of rocks, bricks or logs, in electrical equipment, and in or near building foundations.
- The typical red fire ant colony consists of one queen and 100,000 to 500,000 worker ants. Workers build the nests (mounds), take care of the queen and her eggs, scavenge for food, and defend the colony.
- Properties with single queen colonies may have 40 to 150 mounds and about 7 million red fire ants per acre. It’s also possible to be infested with multiple queen colonies that have 200 or more mounds and up to 40 million red fire ants per acre.
- A mature fire ant queen can lay 1,500 eggs per day and lives from two to six years. Worker ants are sterile, unable to reproduce, and live about four months.
- Red imported fire ants are known to attack people, plants and animals. When their mounds are disturbed, hundreds of worker ants will swarm out of the ground and aggressively sting the intruder. They can also cause extensive damage to gardens and crops, cement slabs, air-conditioning equipment, and electrical wires.
Our Proven Solution
Outside of calling licensed pest management professionals like Fire Ant Control, there is no “best way” to kill destructive fire ants. The key to controlling them is to identify them quickly and take action to minimize the damage they cause.
Fire Ant Control’s proven fire ant treatment focuses on sterilizing the queen. The potent granular bait is ingested by the worker ants and carried down into the colony. Once the queen has been sterilized, the entire colony will disappear within weeks, and no new ants will be born. Fire ants fly, however, and will eventually come back, so we recommend having your property treated three times a year to prevent further colonization.
From small residential lots to properties with thousands of acres, Fire Ant Control’s 100% guaranteed service is the most effective and affordable fire ant killer. Call us today at 239-312-8200 for more fire ant facts and a free estimate!